Venue of the Conference
The conference will be hosted by the Economic Policies Research Unit (NIPE), School of Economics and Management, University of Minho in the Gualtar Campus in Braga – Portugal on 24 & 25 of October 2019.
About the University of Minho
The University of Minho was founded in 1973 and is among the most vibrant and international Portuguese higher education institutions. The University has 11 Schools and 1 Research Institute offering a wide range of Education and Research Programmes at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels. Currently, there are 18.600 students attending the University of Minho. The University is based in the cities of Braga and Guimarães and has two campi: the Gualtar Campus in Braga and the Azurém Campus in Guimarães.
Click here for information about the University of Minho.
Click here for facts and figures about the University of Minho.
About the School of Economics and Management (EEG)
The School of Economics and Management (EEG) at the University of Minho is a “cosmopolitan” School involving a multiplicity of teaching and scientific projects in a wide range of areas, such as, economics, business administration and political science and international relations (among others). The School offers 8 undergraduate Programmes, 15 Masters and 5 Doctoral Programmes (some which are part of a consortium with other Universities). EEG is committed to develop and disseminate scientific knowledge at the highest level, together with a continuous interaction with the corporate and business sectors. You may find more information about the School of Economics and Management here.
The Economic Policies Research UnitNIPE is a research centre in Economics and Management located in the School of Economics and Management. The centre has currently 34 full members. You may find more information about NIPE here.
Located in the North of Portugal, Braga is the third largest city in the country (after Lisbon and Porto) with a population of approximately 181.000 inhabitants. The city is the capital of the Minho Province and is close to Porto, the seaside and the Galicia Region in Spain. Braga’s history may be traced back 2000 years, being an important Roman Colony during the Roman Empire (named Bracara Augusta) and later a relevant religious centre in Hispania. Currently, the region is a vibrant centre in the country with the highest level of density of young population. Braga was recently voted the 2nd European best destination 2019You may find information about Braga in the following links: here. Braga is located near other interesting cities in the country that are easily accessible on a day tour: Porto, Guimarães, Viana do Castelo, Aveiro, Coimbra etc.
HOW TO GET TO BRAGA
1. By planeThe closest airport to Braga is Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport, in Porto, approximately 45Km away from Braga.
The easiest way to get to Braga from Porto airport is by coach or taxi:
- There is a direct coach from the airport – get Bus – which runs daily trips from the Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport to the Coach Station in Braga. Braga Coach Station is located in the city centre and there are taxis available from there. For more information on prices and timetables please check the following link: https://www.getbus.eu/en/ Typically, the coach trip takes 50 min (depending on traffic it may take longer)..
- By taxi: Taxis are available at the airport and you may take one directly to Braga. The fare tends to range between 70€-90€. You may also pre-book a taxi (transfer) in advance and, in this case, the fare tends to range between 60€-70€. There are taxi companies doing these trips. The following taxi company accepts individual and group bookings for airport transfers: https://www.economicotaxis.pt/en/ [Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; +351917126060]. Typically, the taxi trip takes 40 min (depending on traffic it may take longer).
From Porto airport to Braga you may also:
- take the subway, Violeta Line to Campanhã Station [about 33 minutes, between 6am and 1:30am]. From there you can take the train to Braga. Trains to Braga run on a regular basis during the week days and less regularly in the evening and weekends/holidays. Braga train station is located close to the city centre (approximately 5-minute walk) and there are taxis available from there. Information on train timetables and prices can be found in the National Railway Service – Comboios de Portugal CP – website: https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en
- a coach service is available from downtown Porto (Rua Alfredo Magalhães).
- rent a car
2. By carIf you are travelling by car, the GPS coordinates to University of Minho are: 41°33’41.00″N and 8°23’54.45″W (according to Google Earth).
3. By train or coachThere are frequent train or coaches from other locations in the country to Braga. You may find information about the train times/stations and coaches in the following websites:
- Train: https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/train-times/Train-time-results
- Bus – Expresso: https://www.rede-expressos.pt/en/
- Bus – Renex: www.renex.pt